The Supplemental Package is meant to provide benefits to you and your family if you’re a substitute teacher, casual employee, part-time employee, employee serving a waiting period for Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP) employer benefits or a working retiree not eligible to participate in benefits as an employee.
Here are the basic criteria for eligibility for Supplemental Package benefits:
- Under 70 years old;
- Ineligible to participate in benefits offered by an ASEBP-participating employer or serving a waiting period of at least one day for ASEBP group benefits;
- Remain a resident of Canada; and
- Covered by a provincial health care insurance plan.
|DRUGS||OTHER MEDICAL SERVICES AND SUPPLIES||TRAVEL EMERGENCIES||DENTAL (Optional)||LIFE INSURANCE||ACCIDENTAL DEATH & DISMEMBERMENT INSURANCE||EMPLOYEE AND FAMILY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM|
|Plan 2||See Other Medical Services and Supplies||See Travel Emergencies||Plan 2||$25,000 or $50,000. See Life Insurance (Supplemental Package and School Trustees).||$25,000 or $50,000 in coverage. See Accidental Death & Dismemberment page for details.||See Employee Wellness|
What's not covered?
- Extended Disability Benefits
Applying for Coverage
To apply for coverage, complete the application package and send it to us with the following attachments:
- Personalized blank cheque marked VOID or banking details (for automated monthly premium payment withdrawals)
- Copy of your birth certificate or government-issued proof of age (passport, driver’s license accompanied with provincial health coverage)
If approved, your benefit coverage will be effective on the first day of the month following the approval date (e.g. if approved on October 15, your coverage will become effective November 1). For substitute teachers and casual employees, you don't have to be at work on your effective date, but you must be able to perform the duties of a substitute teacher or casual employee on that date.
If you accept a temporary contract position and are eligible for group benefits either through ASEBP or another benefit plan, your Supplemental Package benefits will be suspended while you’re receiving benefits under that contract. When your contract ends, you can request to reinstate your coverage by submitting a Supplemental Package Change Application provided you’re still eligible.