Division Manager, Accounting Services
We are seeking an experienced accounting manager to oversee the financial processes and reporting of our core business. The successful candidate will ensure that operation of the Accounting Services department is streamlined and in alignment with the business objectives of the organization. They will also be responsible for the leadership and support of the Accounting Services team, and will work in conjunction with other teams within ASEBP to ensure the business is supported in the most effective and efficient manner possible. The Division Manager is a key contributor to the leadership team at ASEBP and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Your Key Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership and Operational Excellence
- As part of the ASEBP leadership team, determine priorities including developing an operational plan, budget resources, milestones and deliverables.
- Act as a project sponsor and/or a subject matter expert for cross-departmental projects and initiatives in Accounting Services, including implementation of new systems and enhancements to existing systems to support changes in plan design, as well as system upgrades to accounting software.
- Participate and provide financial input/advice at management team meetings, strategic planning meetings and associated project meetings.
- Research, develop and prepare policies for the effective operation of financial processes and services.
- Identify and action opportunities to involve the Accounting Services team in the provision of analytical and advisory services to the organization, in addition to standard transaction-based processing services.
- Establish, maintain and review management and operational reports, and take corrective action as required.
- Interpret business rules for system development using ends/means analysis to determine the best outcome for ASEBP.
- Collaborate with other divisions to ensure systems are operating in compliance with organizational process and needs.
- Collaboratively examine policies and procedures for improvements, make recommendations, work with cross-functional teams to develop action plans and implement them, ensuring broad acceptance.
- Oversee user acceptance testing on implementation of organizational system processes and programs.
- Act as the key liaison with our third party administrator including participating in a joint working committee reporting to a senior operating committee. The committee is responsible for the identification and potential resolution of issues related to plan interpretation, service requirements, adjudication and joint processes.
- Interpret policy in response to plan changes or as requested when issues arise.
- Identify future needs in terms of resources and systems.
- Manage the staff within the department in a manner consistent with annual budget goals.
- Encourage staff professional development, goal setting and career progression, and identify relevant opportunities.
- Ensure that the Accounting team has the correct tools to do their jobs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to ensure the future success of ASEBP.
- Participate in recruitment, orientation and training of staff.
- Manage performance issues, discipline and terminations.
- Overall responsibility for implementation and management of financial processes to ensure a complete and timely accounting of ASEBP’s activities is accurately recorded and reported.
- Responsible for the successful, timely preparation of quarterly and annual ASEBP Financial Statements.
- Responsible for the provision of accurate, timely financial information for the annual audit.
- Arrange for collection and assembly of all relevant input and information for the ASEBP operating budgets.
- Oversee preparation of quarterly financial statements and other financial reports, and present to the Audit and Risk Committee and the Trustees.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting revenue and expense comparisons to budget.
- Develop projections of fiscal position of ASEBP’s budget.
- Ensure data integrity of all financial transactions, including premium collection, vendor payables, disability benefit and spending account payments.
- Oversee the ASEBP purchasing process including purchase order and credit card administration.
- Ensure a detailed account is maintained for all money received and disbursed by ASEBP.
- Review and approve all bank expenditures from the department’s accounts and liaise with senior members of the accounting services team to ensure appropriate ongoing monitoring of cash flows.
- Make recommendations and required approvals on banking issues.
- Monitor user set-up and approval for online banking and related transactions.
- Oversee financial management and reporting of third party administration.
Your Education and Experience
- Completion of a University degree and a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Good working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- A minimum of five to seven years related experience coupled with demonstrated experience as part of an organizational management team.
- CEBS certification is an asset.
A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Management experience in problem solving, setting priorities, decision making and delegating.
- Knowledge of group benefits theory and application, benefits/claims/payment systems is an asset.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and financial management, financial systems (GL, payables, asset management, payroll), plus strong budget process skills.
- Superior leadership, management, interpersonal and staff development skills.
- Experience in a client service environment.
- Excellent skills and demonstrated ability at building and maintaining relationships.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to develop and implement business plans and initiatives.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Experienced in project management, facilitation and presentation ability.
- Excellent customer service focus, including the ability to resolve issues in a fast paced and, often times, politically sensitive environment.
About Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan
The Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP) is a health and welfare trust governed by ten Trustees, five of whom are appointed by the Alberta School Boards Association and five of whom are appointed by the Alberta Teachers' Association. ASEBP promotes programs that sustain healthy lifestyles and workplaces for over 56,000 covered members in almost 60 school jurisdictions across Alberta. These programs complement the comprehensive benefit coverage ASEBP offers to covered members.
Working for ASEBP is about more than supplying great health benefits. ASEBP offers:
- a team-focused culture that supports people and performance
- an exciting chance to make an impact in the lives of Alberta’s school employees
- a wide range of health and wellness initiatives that encompass emotional, physical and nutritional health
For more information about ASEBP, please visit the “About ASEBP” section of our website, asebp.ca.
How To Apply
If you have the required qualifications and would like to become a member of our team, please submit your resume quoting competition number #17-98 to:
Human Resource Services
No phone calls please. We thank all interested individuals, but only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. ASEBP is an equal opportunity employer.